Table of Contents Show
- 10 Best Pool Vacuums for Intex Above Ground Pool:
- 1. Intex Auto Pool Cleaner
- 2. XtremepowerUS Pool Cleaner
- 3. Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale
- 4. Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
- 5. Aquabot X2 Robotic Pool Cleaner with Powerful Scrubbing Brush, Dual High Capacity Filters, AutoX Pool Mapping, and 2 Year Warranty
- 6. Water Tech Pool Blaster Aqua Broom
- 7. Dolphin Escape Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 8. Pentair Lil Shark Pool Cleaner
- 9. Pentair E-Z Vac Pool Cleaner
- 10. Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40i
- Factors to Consider When Buying Above Ground Pool Vacuum for Intex Pools
- Above Ground Pool Vacuum for Intex Pools FAQ
If you own an Intex pool, you know how important it is to have sparkling, crystal clear water. With a soft-sided Intex pool, you need specific tools to keep the pool pristine, so you can feel safe having your family swim in it.
I’ve spent a lot of time cleaning my Intex pool, and I’ve learned which pool cleaners work and which ones don’t. Here are a few tips and reviews to help you find the best above-ground pool cleaners for Intex Pools to help keep your summer fun clean and healthy.
10 Best Pool Vacuums for Intex Above Ground Pool:
1. Intex Auto Pool CleanerView at Amazon
With a powerful design, the Intex Auto Pool Cleaner is made only for Intex pool owners. When searching for the best vacuum for Intex pools, the Intext Auto Pool Cleaner is made from durable materials, so it will give you years of use. It comes with a design that allows it to automatically reverse its direction so that it can vacuum the entire floor of your pool
Providing hassle-free pool maintenance, this above-ground pool cleaner automatically cleans and vacuums your entire pool. Equipped with a 24-foot hose, this vacuum attaches easily to an Intex inlet connector using a 1 ½-inch or 38 mm hose fitting.
This pool cleaner is not suitable for inground pools. The Intex Auto Pool Cleaner only works on Intex above-ground pools that come with filter pumps that have a flow rate between 1,600 and 3,500 GPH. For the best performance, make sure you have the cleaner set up correctly and that all air pockets have been removed from the cleaner hose.
- It helps keep maintenance of your pool down to a minimum
- The vacuum is easy to attach
- It has a great reverse design that automatically knows when to move
- The wheels need to be redesigned
- The cord tends to get twisted
2. XtremepowerUS Pool CleanerView at Amazon
Featuring automatic suction, the XtremepowerUS Pool Cleaner comes equipped with a set of hoses that attach to your existing filtration system. You won’t need electricity or tools, but you will need at least a ¾ hp pool pump. This deluxe pool clean is ideal for removing small twigs, pebbles, bugs, debris, leaves, and dirt from your pool.
With the XtremepowerUS Pool Cleaner, you won’t have to worry about gears or wheels breaking or getting jammed. This is a high efficiently cleaner with low maintenance. It’s also a lot more durable than other cleaners that are made with a simple PVC design making it the best pool vacuum for Intex pools on the market.
Acting like a moving drain, the XtremepowerUS Pool Cleaner moves water through your filtration system faster. It can navigate around the pool on its own at a rate of 8 to 12 feet a minute. Your pool will stay cleaner without a whole lot of effort on your part.
With a thick but soft pleated seal, you can clean your pool thoroughly and gently, no matter what shape or size. This effective above-ground pool vacuum can also help to prevent a build-up of debris that can damage your pool.
- It never gets jammed and works great
- The vacuum is super durable and moves well in the water
- It attaches easily to your filtration system
- It doesn’t climb walls
- Things get stuck in it
3. Hayward 900 Wanda the WhaleView at Amazon
Providing easy, hassle-free operation, this above-ground pool cleaner uses an automatic suction feature that never requires replacing or emptying debris bags again. Working with an existing filtration system, the Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale pool cleaner won’t require any extra energy, but it will need a booster pump to operate. Easy installation only takes about ten minutes and everything is included, even the hoses, to make installation simple.
The Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale pool cleaner works by circulating through the pool. Acting as the main moving drain, it also improves water circulation by pulling water from the pool’s bottom while it moves. Your pool stays cleaner when the water circulates more, so you will never overuse chemical cleaners.
A smart alternative to manual cleaning, the Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale uses and contoured head with an advanced design that features a steering pattern that completely covers cleaning the pool in a short amount of time. With its unique gear system, you get a consistently balanced flow of water. This system assures that you will have gentle movement and quiet operation as it moves across the bottom of the pool.
And, with a deluxe bumper ring, this above-ground pool vacuum cleaner minimizes the amount of friction it creates for easy movement away from the pool walls. This allows it to resume its programmed steering pattern making it one of the best automatic pool vacuums for Intex pools you can find.
- It has an easy installation process and comes with everything
- This is easy to use a vacuum that you never have to empty
- It has a great design for cleaning
- It gets clogged often
- It tends to get stuck on its side a lot
4. Intex Automatic Pool CleanerView at Amazon
Designed for above-ground pools, the Intext Automatic Pool Cleaner is one of the best Intext pool cleaners thanks to its venturi suction design. Taking the work out of pool cleaning, this vacuum easily connects to your existing filter pump with a minimum of 1,600 – 4,000 GPH. It also comes equipped with a 24-foot 7-inch hose that you can easily attach to the pool’s inlet.
Featuring venturi suction, the Intext Automatic Pool Cleaner automatically cleans the pool’s bottom of debris and leaves, so you can spend less time cleaning, and more time enjoying your pool. It also features a design that will allow it to automatically reverse its direction so that it can vacuum the whole pool floor. It is best when used with a 24 foot or smaller diameter pool.
- It cleans your pool well so you won’t have as much to do
- The design makes it easy to attach and use
- It can move well in the pool and reverse automatically
- It gets stuck a lot
- It doesn’t work on algae
5. Aquabot X2 Robotic Pool Cleaner with Powerful Scrubbing Brush, Dual High Capacity Filters, AutoX Pool Mapping, and 2 Year WarrantyView at Amazon
This junior robotic vacuum is an ideal pool vacuum for Intex pools. The Aquabot X2 is designed specifically for a flat bottom pool and is simple to service and use. Created with a powerful pump motor, you can be ensured that you have enough suction power to get your pool clean.
Equipped with an adjustable axle pin, the Aquabot will maximize its coverage area while preventing the cable from becoming tangled. Efficient, fast, and easy to use, the Aquabot works on any above-ground pool no matter its size or shape. Just turn it on and drop it in the pool for it to start working.
The included 24-volt pump motor filters water and scrubs dirt from the floor with its vacuum suction and its patented jet-drive propulsion venture system. Since it reduces the amount of time your filtration system needs to work, it also saves you energy, water, and chemical costs. Plus, the reusable state-of-the-art filter bag can trap bacteria and algae that are as small as two microns along with sand, leaves, and dirt.
The Aquabot also features extra-wide non-marring wheels, so they can roll over any footprints or surface ripples, plus it won’t’ get stuck in corners or ladders. It comes with an easy-to-set guidance system that allows it to clean any shaped pool. It also comes with a 40-foot floating cable, a power supply transformer, and a two-hour automatic shut-off timer.
- It is simple to use and service
- The vacuum is pretty powerful and wide making it an effective cleaner
- It automatically shuts off after an hour or two
- The cord gets twisted a lot
- The wheels have to be adjusted to work right
6. Water Tech Pool Blaster Aqua BroomView at Amazon
This above-ground swimming pool vacuum is cordless and battery-powered. It’s a great choice for above-ground and in-ground pools as well as soft-sided pools and hot tubs. It’s one of the more affordable cleaners on the market and is more powerful than a wand-type cleaner.
Featuring a reusable filter bag, the Water Tech Pool Blaster Aqua Broom includes two filter bags that are disposable providing extra-fine cleaning. This is a cordless machine that can attach to a standard-sized pool pole to give you an extended reach. You also get a more intense cleaning of particulates like silt and sand than you get from most pool cleaners.
With a three-hour run time, you only need five D-cell batteries to run the Aqua Broom. It is simple to operate, lightweight, and easy to use by hand. With the patented retention valve design, not only can you trap dirt better, but it stops it from returning the debris back into the pool.
- It has a pretty long run time
- It doesn’t have a cord, so it won’t get tangled
- The filter bag is reusable
- It’s hard to turn on and off
- It doesn’t come with a pole
7. Dolphin Escape Robotic Pool CleanerView at Amazon
When considering above-ground pool cleaners for Intex pools, check out the Dolphin Escape Robotic Pool Cleaner. Using groundbreaking technology, this pool robot can ensure that you have a clean pool thanks to its unmatched performance at an affordable price. The onboard DC motor uses up to 90% less power than its competitors while also expending a total of 180 watts of power making this a cost-effective pool cleaner at just five cents an hour.
Using continuous rubber tracks, the Dolphin Escape Robotic Pool Cleaner increases efficiency by removing slippage that normally occurs when water gets between wheels and a pool surface. It comes with a great filtrations system that can handle any sized debris. You can also access the filter cartridge through the top, so you don’t have to mess with messy debris bags.
Featuring scanning software and smart navigation, the Dolphin Escape Robotic Pool Cleaners uses an advanced algorithm to clean your pool efficiently. It can sense drains, walls, and ladders allowing it to clean without being interrupted. Plus, it comes with Hyperbrush Dual Scrubbing Brushes that can scrub away difficult to remove dirt and contaminants.
- It has a smart design that cleans efficiently
- The scrub brushes work well on dirt
- It can pick up big pieces of debris in comparison to other vacuums
- It doesn’t give you a very thorough clean
- It is a little too buoyant so the front isn’t going over the bottom of the pool well
8. Pentair Lil Shark Pool CleanerView at Amazon
Another great pool vacuum for Intex above-ground pools is the Pentair Lil Shark Pool Cleaner. Featuring a high-performance, two-way cleaning system, this vacuum can take on tough grime and dirt. With dual-band bristles, this vacuum will scrub debris loose before sucking it away.
With a stylish new design, you bring fun and speed to your pool cleaning experience. Using powerful cleaning action, this unit is built to last with its rugged housing and just one moving part. Easily program this little machine to ensure that you get complete pool coverage.
Simple to install in minutes, the Lil Shark doesn’t require fittings or special tools. Simply attach the hose and put it in the water before it automatically starts to work. It comes with a 10-inch width that gives you a thorough and fast cleaning.
It does not come with a diaphragm, wheels, or a debris bag. The Lil Shark has a simple design that doesn’t have a ton of parts that can break down. Its durability and simplicity ensure that it will have a long and dependable life.
- It is pretty durable and lasts a few years
- The bristles help to loosen up the debris that the vacuum can then suck up
- It’s easy to use and program
- It isn’t very durable
- You still have to do some manual vacuuming
9. Pentair E-Z Vac Pool CleanerView at Amazon
The next pool vacuum for above-ground pools is the Pentair E-Z Vac Pool Cleaner. One of the best above-ground cleaners on the market, it features suction-side cleaning with a superior hydraulic design to give you the ultimate vacuuming power. It features a truly random pattern that makes sure it covers every inch of the pool floor thoroughly.
Equipped with a 32-foot hose, this E-Z Vac Pool cleaner only has one operating moving part, so you won’t have to deal with gears or wheels that can break. It also includes a free skimming valve that will automatically regulate the flow of water to guarantee a proper cleaning speed while also simultaneously skimming the surface for debris as it vacuums.
- It has a cool random pattern that is pretty effective
- Has a simple design, so you don’t have to wheels and gears breaking
- It can also skim the surface as it cleans
- It’s a little on the expensive side
- The suction isn’t great
10. Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40i
This Intex above-ground pool vacuum gives you a healthier clean with fewer chemicals. The Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40i was created to clean above-ground pools as well as small inground pools. Able to vacuum and micro-filter contaminants, dirt, and debris, this S2-40i is safe for any surface pool, including vinyl liners.
With an easy-to-access top filter bag, the S2-40i’s filtration system ensures that it will filter down to the smallest 2-micron particles. It can also filter more than 80 gallons a minute and comes with a handy power supply that lets it run for up to two hours.
With plug and play operation, the S2-40i self-contains all debris inside the unit saving you on electric usage by providing great filtration and better water circulation. This is a reliable and safe unit that uses a patented ‘hydrorobotic technology’ that allows it to propels itself through the pool using few parts and requiring fewer repairs.
With a sleek design, the S2-40i can clean more accurately and maximize its movements throughout the pool. It also features stronger pumps and suction and comes with a 40-foot king-free, EZ swivel cable. Plus, it comes with an adjustable axle pin that keeps the cable from getting tangled and helps to maximize the unit’s pool coverage.
- It has a simple design, so there is less to break
- It moves efficiently through the water as it cleans
- The vacuum can pick up some pretty small pieces of debris
- It doesn’t climb up the sides of a pool
- It can get stuck at the edge of the pool
Factors to Consider When Buying Above Ground Pool Vacuum for Intex Pools
Robotic Vs. Suction
Robotic Pool Vacuums – A little more expensive, a robotic vacuum comes with internal motors making them more powerful. They do usually need to be plugged in, so make sure there is a socket nearby the pool. Operating automatically, these vacuums go all over the pool to pick up debris and dirt with their wide wheels that can move over obstacles.
Suction Pool Vacuums – Known as a barracuda type pool vacuum, a suction pool vacuum usually has a large rubber flange that moves it along the pool’s bottom. They typically clean both the bottom and the sides of your pool. Suction vacuums that are designed for soft-sided pools are attached to a pool pump for power, so they won’t need an external power source.
Corded vs. Cordless
Is it better to have a corded or cordless above-ground pool vacuum cleaner?
A corded pool cleaner is better for a larger pool where you need the machine to cover large surface areas without worrying about the loss of suction power. Corded units are also better at handling large debris like acorns and leaves.
Smaller Intex pools are better suited for cordless vacuums since there is less area to cover on a single battery charge. However, before you buy it, consider how much run time it features and how long it takes to charge.
An Intext pool vacuum is typically easy to set up and install. Many of the models come with a “plugin and go” design that is ready to go to work in only a few minutes.
Keep in mind that robotic units are usually heavier than a suction vacuum, and some handheld units may need extra time for battery recharge.
Above Ground Pool Vacuum for Intex Pools FAQ
What Kind of Performance Should I Look for in an Intex Above Ground Pool Vacuum?
You definitely want a vacuum that will give you the most coverage for your sized pool. If you have some tight corners, you may want a smaller-sized cleaner that can get into corners and tight spaces.
If you are considering a robotic cleaner, look for one that can climb steps and walls. Rubber tires are great for gripping the sides and bottom of the pool. Plus, high-quality brushes help to scrub the bottom, sides, and steps of a pool.
How Hard is it To Vacuum an Above Ground Pool Manually?
- If you want to know how to vacuum above ground pools manually, just follow these steps:
- After you attach the vacuum hose and the pole to the vacuum head, submerge the unit in the pool.
- Hold onto one end of the hose over the water return and ensure that as the hose fills with water it is removing all the air that is trapped inside the hose.
- Hold the hose under the water before placing the vacuum plate inside the skimmer while leaving the leaf basket in place.
- Attach the hose to the elbow fitting and then get ready to vacuum.
- If your skimmer didn’t come with an elbow fitting, just take off the skimmer cover before putting the vacuum hose right onto the vacuum plate.
- If you have a triangle vacuum head, it makes it easier to clean your pool. Many of them are weighted precisely to make use effortlessly, so they won’t leave a trail at the bottom of the pool as other vacuum heads can.
Why Is My Pool Cloudy When I Vacuum it?
It may be that the vacuum is not setup correctly. The primary reason for cloudy water is an increase in fine sediments or a low chlorine level. Make sure the vacuum is set to “waste” when you turn it on since this will help you remove the particles that are suspended in the water.
The winner of the best above-ground pool vacuum for Intex pools roundup is the Aquabot APRVJR Pool Rover. Designed specifically for a flat bottom pool, this is a simple to service and use pool cleaner that was created with a powerful pump motor. Equipped with an adjustable axle pin, it will maximize its coverage area while preventing the cable from becoming tangled.
Efficient, fast, and easy to use, the Aquabot works on any above ground pool no matter its size or shape. Just turn it on and drop it in the pool for it to start working, and, since it reduces the amount of time your filtration system needs to work, it also saves you on energy, water, and chemical costs. Plus, the reusable state-of-the-art filter bag can trap bacteria and algae that are as small as two microns along with sand, leaves, and dirt.
The Aquabot also features extra-wide non-marring wheels, so they can roll over any footprints or surface ripples, plus it won’t’ get stuck in corners or in ladders. It comes with an easy-to-set guidance system that allows it to clean any shaped pool, a 40-foot floating cable, a power supply transformer, and a two-hour automatic shut off timer. The definite winner of the best above-ground pool vacuum for Intex pools roundup is the Aquabot APRVJR Pool Rover hands down.