As any gun owner knows, a gun safe is crucial to ensuring the safety of those who live in your home and also the security of your prized gun. We’re experts in keeping your home and everything in it safe, and gun safety is no exception.
You don’t want your gun getting into the hands of a burglar, a child, or someone without proper training. There are tons of gun safes out there, and we’ve reviewed hundreds to find the best choices for safety, functionality, and style.
You also want to make sure that you’re getting the best long gun safe for the money. When we analyzed the best long gun safes on the market we looked at features like the size of the unit, how many locking points it had, the kind of lock (electronic versus keyed), and how safely it would store your weapons.
What might be most important to you is how many guns the safe can store, or perhaps the ability to get into the safe quickly in times of emergency. We want you to know it all.
Choosing a mediocre long gun safe is simply not an option. When it comes to storing long guns, safety cannot take a backseat. You need to know you’re getting a safe that can not only store all of your long guns but will keep them in top condition and enable you quick access when it is needed most.
Below, we’ll review some of the top options on the market to ensure you’re choosing the right one for your home.
10 Best Long Gun Safes for the Money:
1. Barska Quick and Easy Access Biometric Rifles, Firearms and Long Guns Safe for HomeView at Amazon
- Rifle rack stores up to 4 rifles
- Stores 120 fingerprints in a central database
- 3 pry-proof steel deadbolts
- Tamper-resistant inner edges
- Hidden keyhole with backup keys
BARSKA New Large Quick Access Biometric Rifle Gun Safe Cabinet is one of the best gun safes for long guns. You can be assured that your guns will not end up in the hands of your children or burglars if you’re using this long gun safe in your home!
This safe is incredibly smart, with the ability to instantly unlock in a time of crisis with a quick 2-3 second biometric scan of a finger. Plus, it remembers up to 120 fingerprints, so this could also be used in an office or group setting.
This fantastic safe is built of solid steel with 3 pry-proof steel deadbolts. It is so secure, it is even approved by the United States Department of Justice!
Barska’s safe is on the smaller side, so it will hold up to four rifles and two handguns. It has four set positions for your long guns and then the top shelf will hold handguns or important documents.
People say that after having this safe for more than three years and entering it daily, the safe has had no issues and guns remain safe. They feel confident that their children will not accidentally get into this safe.
- Stores 120 different fingerprints
- Approved by the Department of Justice
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Has back-up access if the battery runs out
- DOJ Approved for gun storage
- Not fireproof
2. SWSD20GUN-EMP 60 Minute Fireproof 20 Long Gun Safe with EMP LockView at Amazon
- 1.5” diameter solid steel locking bolts
- Free door organizer included
- 1 Hour Fireproofing at 1875 degrees.
- Automatic LED Interior Lighting
- High-Security Bypass Key Lock
Steelwater’s new and improved standard duty long gun safe is hands down the best fireproof long gun safe out on the market today. If you’re looking for a sturdy, heavy gun safe that can withstand nearly anything, but you don’t want to pay thousands, then this gun safe is the one for you.
Rated to be one hour fireproof at 1875 degrees, this large safe can withstand nearly anything! It has large, 1.5” locking steel bolts, and a composite constructed door that is drill and ballistic resistant. The door is 4 ¾” thick!
You can safely lock up your long guns in this safe with an EMP-proof electronic lock system with a double-bitted bypass key. This all but ensures you will never be locked out of your safe. Plus, the safe comes with an interior LED light.
Customers love that this safe is extremely sturdy and thick and is even rated for fire. They love that the safe comes with a backup key but say that they feel confident the lock would be tough for even the smartest criminal to pick.
- Can store a maximum of (10) long guns per section
- Very sturdy and heavy
- LED interior light included for free
- An electronic lock system with a bypass key nearly ensures you will never get locked out of safe
- DOJ Approved for gun storage
- Undeliverable to some New York zip codes and some remote areas like islands as delivered by tractor-trailer
- More an expensive than other models
3. 10 Gun Safety Cabinet Stack-On GCWB-10-5-DS Sentinel Security Storage RackView at Amazon
- Holds 10 rifles up to 52 inches long
- Removable top shelf for ammo or smaller guns
- 3-point locking system with key-coded lock
- Affordable price
Stack-On’s GCWB 10-5-DS model is a fantastic gun security cabinet for the price you pay for it. In fact, we believe it is the best budget long gun safe. It doesn’t look like a budget safe though, with its stunning black epoxy paint and stylish gold accents. It is slim yet spacious and would look good in any room in your home.
This security cabinet holds up to 10 rifles or shotguns that are 52 inches tall or shorter. If you need additional space, you can remove the steel top shelf that provides storage for ammo or small handguns, or other documents.
You can keep your guns in mint condition thanks to the padded bottom and barrel rests. This reduces any chances for scratches and also ensures that they’re easily viewable and accessible.
The three-point locking system has a key-coded, double-bitted lock, ensuring that your firearms are not getting into the wrong hands.
Customers say the door and 3-point latching system seems quite sturdy and will keep out most people who aren’t determined. They also do remove the extra shelf for more storage.
- Great value for the price
- No assembly required
- Heavy (around 45 lbs) with thick walls
- Attractive appearance; can fit in many places
- Gun rests are somewhat flimsy
4. American Security AMSEC Fire Rated Gun Safe with Electronic E5 LockView at Amazon
- Resist fire up to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes
- The capacity of up to 11 guns
- Carpeted flooring guarantee a perfect condition for your rifles
- It has durable hinges
- Warranty 1 Year Parts and Labor
The American Security Series is one of the best home gun safe choices. Even better, it makes the list of our affordable fire protection options, with no compromise to the overall quality. One can enjoy a wide array of inexpensive features packed in one unit.
Customers appreciate the high-quality material that is used to build small home safes. They say that the unique design of the internal door organization is an attraction to behold.
Similarly, customers add that they can use the safe in any room, whether they seek to mount it on a wall or floor. While they can access it readily, thieves don’t have the slightest chance of getting in. Moreover, the quality of the safe is way beyond its price range.
- One can rest assured that the California Department of Justice has approved its capacity to keep guns safe.
- It has enhanced fire protection.
- A trouble key comes in handy to give easy access when you are locked out.
- The hinges and bolt provide extra security as much as improve access to the safe.
- Sometimes the handle slips and comes off.
- Isn’t affordable but worth the price.
5. American Furniture Classics Five Gun Metal Storage CabinetView at Amazon
- 3-point locking system
- Holds up to 5 long guns that are 22” long
- Carpeted flooring and foam barrel rest ensures your gun gets no scratches
- Storage area for additional handguns
American Furniture Classics Five Gun storage cabinet is a perfect choice for a hunter with long guns, even featuring a decal of a buck on the front of the cabinet!
This unit offers features that you’d see in much more expensive units, like a 3-point locking system. It is approved and tested by the California Department of Justice for safety, so you can rest easy knowing that your guns are not going anywhere.
The unit can hold up to five long guns that are up to 22” tall. It also has a separate storage area that is carpeted and locked where you can store ammo, handguns, or important documents. You know that your guns will stay in tip-top shape with this unit as it has carpeted floors and soft foam barrel rests.
Customers say this unit is made of high-quality steel and is very attractive with its deer decal on the front. They say that it is perfect for use in any room and easily mounted to the wall or floor, so while there is easy access, no thief could come into your home and steal it.
- Has electronic locks that notify you when the battery is low
- Includes a trouble key so you can never be locked out
- Batteries are easily changed via the front of the safe
- Arrives in a box that identifies that it is a gun safe
- Won’t hold a rifle longer than 22”
6. Gearmart Fast Access Gun Safe Rifle Safe Larger and Durable for 5-6 Gun Shotgun CabinetView at Amazon
- 1-inch steel locking bolts
- Separate lockbox to store other valuables
- Easy setup and mounting
- It comes with a backup key should you be locked out of the safe
- Its time-out period locks the safe for unauthorized access
- The quality biometric gun safe lock has a light signal to indicate a low battery
In addition to the magnificent look that comes with the package, the Gearmart Rifle safe’s efficiency is backed by the approval of the California Department of Justice. Our idea of the best gun safe under $500 makes it an excellent option to utilize ample floor space in your home.
Customers say that the safe is the ideal unit for anyone seeking pristine storage conditions for their guns. They also add to cheap gun safe reviews that the safe is not 100 % secure since it is more of a cabinet.
- The safety and security is tested and approved by the California Department of Justice
- It times out access after three consecutive failed attempts
- Fingerprint and pin lock setups are easy for enhanced security
- The key may get stuck slightly when opening the safe
7. V-Line 31242-SA Quick Access Keyless Long Gun SafeView at Amazon
- The lock system comes with additional locks to enhance security
- It gives you the option of opening it from the front or top
- It comes with pre-drilled holes to enable mounting or hanging on the wall.
- 16-gauge steel is more secure
- It houses an AR-15, among other automatic rifles
V-Lines is our top choice for anyone who wants a safe that is purposely built for home defense. The delicate nature of a riffle requires that you find the absolute choice for your safety and comfort.
One thing that customers love is the purpose for which the safe is built. The capacity to store automatic and semi-automatic guns is highly appreciated. The Simplex-style key code is another lovable feature. It opens fast and has little dependence on batteries.
Thus, they feel like it would give them exceptional and easy access to the case in case of emergencies. It is also useful and reliable to prevent burglars from laying hands on their firearms.
- The save is accessible with no reliance on batteries or keys.
- While the safe has a sturdy structure, its small size can fit even in a closet.
- It is specifically built to house assault and home defense rifles.
- The high quality matches the affordability.
- The safe can comfortably accommodate one gun.
- As it features a quick access lock, it isn’t the most secure option that you can get.
8. NEW and IMPROVED E.M.P Proof Steelwater Extreme Duty 39 Long Gun Fire Protection for 120 MinutesView at Amazon
- The safe can withstand heat as high as 1875 degrees for one hour
- 9 Gauge steel with an added 1/4 inch solid steel plate on the entire door.
- It has an electronic lock system with a bypass key.
- The interior has L.E.D. lighting to enhance the appearance.
- Gear Drive Linkage Systems Protects against prying, punching, and drill attacks better than a cam drive system.
Consider the Steelwater 39 gun safe as an improved version to accommodate long guns. Its sturdiness and heavyweight are also additional features that enable the safe to withstand anything.
In essence, you wouldn’t want to spend your money on a cheap safe while this one displays more unique features at a valuable price.
Customers fancy the safe for being fire-resistant, thick, and sturdy. In light of the backup key, they appreciate the confidence that the safe gives since even a professional burglar cannot open it.
- The large-capacity gun safe can accommodate up to 8 long guns in each interior section
- It weighs a substantial 305 lbs.
- Enjoy free L.E.D. interior lighting.
- A bypass key prevents one from being locked out.
- The most secure gun safe cannot be delivered to particular zip codes in New York and other remote locations
- It comes at a much higher price than other versions of safes.
9. RPNB Rifle Safe,Electronic Gun Security Cabinet,Quick Access 5-Gun Large Metal Rifle Gun Security Cabinet with Separate Pistol/Ammo AreaView at Amazon
- Premium locking system
- It has a 4-way deadlock locking mechanism
- 3 external hinges and a firewall with an extra layer of steel.
- 10 gauge steel thickness for maximum security
- Additional storage for accessories such as ammo and jewelry.
The most outstanding features of the RPBN safe are the maximum capacity to resist fire and enhanced security from theft. It is also an elegant residential gun-safe option to enable quick access during emergencies.
Customers present this unit to be adequately suitable for most unpleasant situations. Unlike many other safes, they give this one a plus for purposely serving as a safe rather than a cabinet. The price also matches the top-notch quality aspect of the safe.
- It has a backlit electronic lock
- A backup key will always give you access in unpleasant situations
- A suitable barrel rest protects your gun from scratches
- The locks get stuck when the use of the safe is prolonged.
10. Langger V Gun Safe for Rifle, Upgraded Quick Access 5-6 Gun Large Rifle Gun Security Cabinet for Rifle Shotgun Firearms with/without Optics with Pistol Lock Box, Removable Storage ShelfView at Amazon
- Fits practically anywhere for 5 to 6 rifles up to 50″
- It provides enhanced safety and security.
- Quick firearm access
- Separate Handgun lockbox
Langger V Gun Safe for Rifle to the list of great products to keep your gun safe. It is heavy duty for anyone who wants a rifle gun safe alongside a biometric technology, just enough to be sued by a small army. It also makes our choices of the ideal combination gun safe affordable options.
Customers marvel at the size and weight of the safe. On the first impression, one would think it is a more expensive safe, following its state-of-the-art features. They say that almost everything is excellent, from the size, easily unlock to the storage room.
- The safe is not very heavy as it weighs up to 90 pounds
- Its large size to accommodate a few guns
- The safe is easy to open
- It comes at a good price to match its value
- Not fire-safe
Tips on Choosing Long Gun Safe
If you’re looking for the best long gun safe for the money, there are certain things to look out for to ensure that you’re getting the highest quality product for the lowest price.
Measure the area where you’d like to place the gun safe.
Ensure that the unit you buy is the appropriate size, so it is not obtrusive. If it is in your bedroom, make sure there’s ample space. Is there room to bolt it to the floor or the wall?
Does the unit you’re looking at have pre-drilled holes? If you’re getting a unit with thick walls (and you should be!) it will be very difficult to drill them yourself, so you might have to pay extra to have a technician come and do it for you.
Make sure you read how heavy the unit is.
How will you get it into the room of your choosing if it is very heavy? However, if the unit is light, remember that thieves can easily walk it out of your home. Have a plan before purchasing.
What type of locking bolts does the unit have?
A good safe should have at least four locking bolts and they should be at least one inch thick and made of steel. How tightly do they seal the door? A safe’s door should be very tightly sealed.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Long Gun Safe
The value of your long gun and other accessories that need protection will determine the type of long gun safe to go for.
If you want enhanced security, it would be best to go for a piece with more advanced features. You can start by calculating the replacement value of your item to choose the most suitable long gun safe.
Long gun safes are built to prevent unauthorized access, but does the protection go beyond that? Many models are built to secure firearms against extreme attacks. If you want to get a fireproof one, it will help if you went for the higher-rated versions.
Safes are meant to keep burglars away from valuable items. As such, they are built with particular materials that cannot be broken into easily.
Steel is the most utilized metal in building gun safes. In light of construction, consider the thickness of the walls and the body wields.
To be precise, your gun would be safer in storage made of thick steel, say 3-gauge steel. Such thickness and more would prevent even the most attempted break-ins.
The safe should also suitably welded joints to enhance protection.
Understanding what gun capacity is would help you to choose the ideal compact long gun safe.
Similarly, besides the length, remember that your weapon has other features such as mag wells and pistol grips. These parts should also be comfortable in a safe.
While you may not know, fireproof means more thickness. The safe walls would be eating into your interior space to protect your valuables from unpleasant elements. The weight also matters, particularly if you want to mount it on a wall in your house.
The type of safe that you buy would be determined by the rate at which you’ll be opening it.
If you don’t intend to use your firearm frequency, there would be no need to keep them safe in easily accessible areas. If you need it alongside you, a separate handgun safe will do fine.
The type of locking system will also influence how you open your safe. For instance, you would probably fancy opening a safe that uses biometrics because it opens fast.
Dial locks may also suit your needs best. Whichever the case, it would only be fair to find the one with the most suitable locking mechanism.
Price is influenced by the type of safe you want to buy. Subsequently, you may find a long gun safe at a higher price, but the durability and other features are unsatisfactory. While the price may have little to do with the case, the design should guide you into buying something excellent.
Primarily, consider the protection and safety features. As a long gun case is an investment, you want to ensure that you are getting the most out of what you’re spending.
Consider the warranty of the long gun safe, just as you do with other items. In essence, a regular warranty should cover you for up to one year.
Good for you if you purchase your safe from manufacturers who allow their customers to extend the warranty period. Even better, a lifetime warrant option would be excellent to save you from future headaches when your safe malfunctions.
Long Gun Safe-FAQs
How can I choose the right long gun case?
Finding the right long gun set for the money would require you to look at the space where you want to place it. From gun safe reviews, the ideal case shouldn’t be too big for you to stumble into every time.
Consider other significant factors, such as the opening mechanism, size, and price.
What long gun safe alternatives can I use?
You can protect your long gun using several other alternatives. If your solidly built toolbox is large enough to accommodate the firearm, it will work fine.
Build a gun-safe vault in your pantry or closet.
Improve the overall security of your home premises. Subsequently, you can make it fireproof to enhance safety beyond your long gun.
Can I install a long gun safe in my car?
One of the ideal places for installing a gun safe is in the trunk and under the driver’s seat. Considering the size of a long gun, the trunk would do fine.
Recommended for reading: Best Japanese Rice Cookers
In essence, you would agree that the level of crime in today’s world is not close to ending any time soon. Nonetheless, crime continues to rise, and people are trying to establish the best ways of keeping their valuables safe.
Family and loved ones need to be assured that the environment that they live in is safe-safe from burglary, particularly. One would expect thieves to break into a home if valuables are vulnerable and open to theft.
As such, the best safe for long guns come in handy to store firearms from burglars and children’s reach. Anyone who wants to purchase a weapon for security reasons should first consider how they will store it.
The above insight has significantly broken down what you need to know about long guns. The examples of highly-rated long guns in the market would help you choose the one that suits your budget, taste, safety objectives, and preferences.
The quest is simple and straightforward- decide on the long gun you want to buy and the amount you want to spend on it. Subsequently, you can use the list as a guide to help you choose the best piece. The right one would ensure the safety of your firearm, jewelry, essential documents, and, most importantly, your family.