Table of Contents Show
- Best Small Upright Freezers:
- Whynter CUF-110B Energy Star 1.1 cubic feet Upright Freezer Stainless Steel door with Security Lock with Reversible Door – Black
- hOmelabs Upright Freezer – 1.1 Cubic Feet Compact Reversible Single Door Vertical Freezer with Child Door Lock – Table Top Mini Freezing Machine with Removable Shelves for Office Dorm or Apartment
- Whynter CUF-210SS Energy Star 2.1 cubic feet Upright Freezer Stainless Steel door with Security Lock with Reversible Door
- EdgeStar CMF151L-1 1.1 Cu. Ft. Medical Freezer with Lock
- Whynter CUF-112SS 1.1 cu. ft. Energy Star Upright Lock-Stainless Steel Freezer, Cubic Feet
- Koolatron Compact Upright Freezer with Compressor Cooling Technology, 3.1 Cubic Feet Capacity Mini Freezer – Ideal for Apartment, Condo, Office, RV, Cabin, Small Kitchen – White
- ROVSUN 3.0 Cu.Ft Compact Upright Freezer with Reversible Stainless Steel Single Door, Removable Shelf, Countertop Freezer with 7 Grade Adjustable Thermostat for Home Office Dorm Apartment
- Magic Chef MCUF3S2 3.0 cu. ft. Upright Freezer in Stainless Steel
- SPT UF-304W: 3.0 cu.ft. Upright Freezer in White – ENERGY STAR
- What You Should Know About Best Small Upright Freezers
- Factors to Consider When Buying Small Upright Freezers
- Best Small Upright Freezers FAQ
- Making The Decision
Did you know that a small freezer could pack in just as much frozen food as some standard freezers attached to refrigerators? Of course, this isn’t the case for all of them but the amount that the former can hold might surprise you. But that’s not the only thing. Such units are lightweight, easily fitting underneath countertops and shelves.
Having tested and evaluated numerous brands that specialize in cooling electronic appliances, we’ve seen our share of fridges that do (and sometimes, don’t do) exactly what they claim in the product description.
Below are ten of the best small upright freezers on the market, chosen for cooling speed and size/dimension ratios. For more in-depth info, read the guidelines features before the summary. Here we go!
Best Small Upright Freezers:
The Whynter CUF-110B is an energy-efficient, square-shaped mini freezer with great cooling speeds that’ll never die down over the years. That’s right, it’s a machine that you’ll likely have running in tip-top shape a year down the line.
Running off a compressor that purrs instead of whines, the sound level is low enough for you to keep it in your room without it waking you up in the dead of night.
If you’ve read some of the compact upright freezer reviews related to this product, you would find that its interior dimensions are quite large for such a small frame. And because of this, you’ll benefit by being able to stuff more inside than originally anticipated. If that sounds good, then place the Whynter CUF-110B first on your “must buy” appliances list.
- The lock is very tight and difficult to tamper
- Its inconspicuous dimensions allow it to be placed underneath a desk
- The freezer compartment is small but quickly chills ice into water
- The soft outer material bends easily if hit by something hard
Next up, the hOmelabs Upright Freezer is for people that are afraid of the frailty of other comparable upright freezers. It’s common knowledge that freezers of all kinds have a problem with producing dents whenever something heavy comes into sudden contact with the exterior.
Yet here, the cooler is prepared for that. Looking at photos of the product, one will see that it’s partially built from stainless steel, which is hardened to the point where small impacts are absorbed by the body of the unit.
Surprisingly, it weighs approximately 31 pounds (empty on the inside). Move it around wherever you want without breaking a sweat. Read and keep a copy of the instructions after unboxing the freezer. It’ll tell you how to change the door to where the hinge is on the left instead of the right side. Depending on where you position it, this could help you reach for it much easier.
- Partially made from stainless steel and will never rust when placed in an area with lots of moisture
- Has a powerful compressor that cools food and frozen items very fast
- Weighs about 31 pounds, and isn’t too difficult to pick up empty or packed with food
- The door is able to open on the left or right side, if necessary
- One plate of food will take up a majority of the refrigerator’s space
The Whynter CUF-210SS is another low-wattage freezer with great frost prevention. Everyone’s been there before, having a freezer that seems to snow up whenever it’s left open for too long. Cleaning out such a mess can be very annoying especially if the unit rests on a carpeted floor.
The last thing you want to do is get the walking area around your freezer soaked, something that the CUF-210SS is more than capable of preventing.
The feet are level, though you can adjust according to how uneven the ground is below the freezer. Defrost can only be done manually but doesn’t involve anything other than turning up the dial for a couple of hours. What’s the verdict? The Whynter CUF-210SS is great for garages and patios/porches. Anywhere there’s a lot of natural background noise to muffle the sounds of the compressor.
- Doesn’t build up frost too quickly
- The bottom of the freezer is level, keeping liquid on the inside if spills occur
- Has the ability to defrost frozen food
- The loud compressor creates much noise pollution if placed in a bedroom set
The EdgeStar CMF151L-1 1.1 has the term “medical freezer” in its name but is great to use at work or home. With it, you can store your favorite frozen snacks in one convenient place that’s easy to reach and persistently stays cool. Being that the unit is sold in white, dirt and grime are easy to see when it does build up, which makes it quicker to clean and stay that way.
Even in the warmest room in your home, you’ll find that its compressor works at an outstanding pace, pumping out cold air on even the dia setting that’s featured. Turn it up when the outside temps get colder and dial it down when the heat arises. Try not to play with the dial too much, to avoid over-straining the compressor.
Add the CMF151L-1 1.1 to your home if you need an efficient upright freezer that won’t die as soon as the next heatwave arrives.
- Has a strong handle for opening without requiring too much energy on the user’s part
- Dirt that cakes on to the refrigerator is easy to see (painted white)
- Cools down quickly in rooms that are slightly above room temperature
- When food is inside, may slide when opened
The Whynter CUF-112SS is peculiar, in that it’ll manage to keep unwanted frost away regardless of whether the freezer is opened too often. It’s also odd in that it hardly makes any noise at all. Most refrigerators output a low whine or buzz by default, but it’s almost nonexistent here.
As you may have guessed, this places it in the league of being a great addition to your next bedroom buy. Everyone loves leftovers, but you’ll crave them even more since this freezer will keep them fresh by cooling the food off at a very fast rate.
The quicker you get things cool, the less spoilage you’ll have. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the freezer’s exterior. Scratches, bruises, dents, you name it-they’ll show up very easily if you’re careless with it. So long as you don’t accidentally hit it with anything, none of the unwanted damages described should happen.
- Seals perfectly around the box, blocking all warm air from entering
- Very low noise level makes it a good addition to rooms for nursing women/disabled/elderly
- Cools down warm plates of food in less than 30 minutes
- Scratches and stains easily
The Koolatron KTUF88 is sold in only one color, all white. Don’t let that keep you away from all of the things this miraculous machine can do for your perishable goods. Put it outside or in your garage, it makes no difference. Your food will remain cold in any setting and under high-temperature fluctuations.
If you choose this freezer and it arrives at your door, don’t be surprised by the lack of coils in the back. This is intentional, with the unit being run entirely from a compressor that sits at the rear of the machine.
It doesn’t extend out from the back, so you can line it up flat against any wall that you wish. You might spend a good deal of time cleaning up frost, however. It seems to build up fast no matter how much one does to prevent it.
However, there is a percentage of people that have no problem with this, if you count yourself as one of those people, the KTUF88 is a great freezer to have around for your food.
- Stays cold in warm rooms
- Good space that can hold dozens of cans and bottles without preventing the door from closing
- Fits evenly on a wall due to a lack of coils
- Builds up frost, even on the highest setting
The Rovsun Upright Freezer is great for the temporary storage of frozen microwavable foods. TV dinners, soups, and frozen veggies all in one easy-to-reach location. There are a total of three sections, with the coldest being at the top. There is no rack along with the door.
This might seem like an inconvenience until you realize that the lack of space there is done to give the primary rack additional room.
Many upright freezer ratings and reviews list the product with photos showing it stuffed with the foods just described. For the most part, this is accurate.
You’ll rarely find yourself attempting to cram your items into the fridge; there’s enough room to get over a week’s work of what you need inside. Look into the Rovsun Freezer if you like low-volume machines that don’t make a loud racket when turned on.
- Shelf space holds lots of microwavable food
- Runs at a hum that’s barely audible
- Inside temperatures don’t increase by much when used in an outdoor setting
- No shelf space along with the door (although it makes up for this by having an extra room in the main portion of the freezer)
The Magic Chef MCUF3S2 is a great little fridge, built with strength and extra room in mind. Small cookie sheets and pans can fit, even when there are a few other items inside the freezer already. Nothing will shake or wobble due to uneven legs; put anything you want on top of the fridge all should remain in the same spot without moving.
You’ll want to use caution to not break or bend the seal. If you do, expect frost to quickly develop around its highest points, until making its way south until nearly everything is covered.
- Doesn’t frost up too fast, even when pads aren’t used
- Can fit some medium-sized pans and cookie sheets without forcing the door closed
- Stays firmly on the ground it rests on without moving if objects are placed on top of it
- If even a tiny piece of the seal breaks or opens, frost will quickly develop
Last but not least, the Sunpentown UF-304W ends the list with an astonishingly great interior size. If you want to get ordinary grocery-sized meat into it, you won’t run into any trouble at all. Place it below your counter, in large cupboards, or even build one yourself.
Although the weight isn’t the lightest thing that’s shown, things are held down in such a way that’ll help anyone carry it around without too much strength. Odors won’t stay for long, so long as you clean out the freezer. Baking soda might also do the trick for this. Don’t plan on moving the shelves. Yes, the drawer can come out as normal, but not the chairs.
- Fits lots of meat of the typical grocery store shapes and sizes
- Height is exactly below the average shelf height of most countertops
- Odors don’t linger on the inside
- Users cannot slide any of the shelves out
What You Should Know About Best Small Upright Freezers
Freezers vs refrigerators
These products are a bit different than other electronic coolers. For one thing, it’s not exactly a refrigerator. Upright freezers get it right in the name and are strictly made for freezing drinks and any solid foods that are perishable. Perishable items are anything that you must cool immediately after buying.
Check Rack Clearance
Some jars may contain items that are perishable as well; check to see if the freezer you like has a rack clearance that’s good enough for them if that’s what you’re going got use it for.
Many brands also won’t allow you to take out the racks. The doors may not have a rack and make users place everything in the central cooling portion.
Dimensions of the inside
When you see something that you like, look and see if the company shows the dimensions (in cubic feet) of the space on the inside.
Keep in mind that most brands only give such specifications with the exterior added. What this means is that you could end up getting far less food inside than you thought.
Recommended reads: best refrigerators for your garage
Factors to Consider When Buying Small Upright Freezers
Before you settle on one of the products shown above, check to see whether it meets all of your expectations. There are some key differences between models, mostly in the exterior quality and the time it takes for your food to get cold.
Because of this, it might be a good idea for you to pick up a small digital thermometer if you’re going to put any pricy meats in the freezer. The best self-defrosting upright freezers have accurate temperature controls that’ll give you a temperature ready that aligns with the numbers that are written on the dial.
Best Small Upright Freezers FAQ
Are small Freezers Cold Enough?
Absolutely. A good model will cool down your freezer contents in a similar fashion to a large standard kitchen fridge. But like their large countertops, never forget to close the door. Ensure that the seal goes entirely over the freezer’s edge, with no cold air seeping out.
How are key Benefits to Upright Freezers?
There are many but two of the biggest are compact size and ease of access. You can place these freezers in your bedroom or garage, or even in some vehicle for tailgating. You don’t have to be a creative person to know how to cool food properly.
Are Upright Freezers Safe for Baby Food/Baby Formula?
Yes, but do ensure that the baby food cools quickly by testing out a bottle, just to see how long it takes for the temp to lower. YOu don’t want these directions to go by too slow.
Making The Decision
It’s hopeful that you’ve found the right upright freezer. If so, stick with what you think will work best for your home or work location. But if not, there is one that broadly shows that few others match its attributes.
The Whynter CUF-110B is the best mini upright freezer, easily fitting in hard-to-reach areas, but always keep the indoor temperature at the level that you set, no matter what. In any case, no matter which freezer you think is better than the others, buy as soon as you can to add space to your kitchen quickly!