Table of Contents Show
For almost twenty years, the Green Mountain Grills remain true to their promise as the highest-rated pellet grills fitting the 21st century needs. And, its unwavering demand confirms this.
Likewise, the Camp Chef Woodwind grills make it possible for any outdoor enthusiast to enjoy a delicious barbeque anytime, anywhere.
It is for these two reasons that this quick guide presents the results of our search for the differences between these two best pellet smoker brands.
Further, we compare the Camp Chef Woodwind review against high-end GMG pellet grills.
Let’s get to it!
Camp Chef Woodwind vs Green Mountain Grills Comparison
|Camp Chef 24 in. WiFi Woodwind Pellet Grill & Smoker||Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone||Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett Pellet Grill|
View at Amazon
View at GMG
View at Amazon
|Total Rack Surface Area: 800 sq. in.||Total Rack Surface Area: 458 sq. in.||Total Rack Surface Area: 219 sq. in.|
|Hopper capacity: 22 lbs||Hopper capacity: 18 lbs||Hopper capacity: 9 lbs|
|Connectivity: WIFI & Bluetooth||Connectivity: PID and Wi-Fi||Connectivity: PID and Wi-Fi|
|Temperature range: 160 F to 500 F||Temperature range: 150-550° F||Temperature range: 150°F up to 550°F|
|Meat probes: Yes||Meat probes: Yes||Meat probes: Yes|
|Cleanout system: Yes||Cleanout system: Yes||Cleanout system: None|
|Item Weight: 132 Pounds||Item Weight: 184 Pounds||Item Weight: 68 lbs|
|Item Dimensions: 30 x 42 x 49 inches||Item Dimensions: 52 x 52 x 25 inches||Item Dimensions: 31.75 x 34 x 23 inches|
|Warranty: 3-year||Warranty: N/A||Warranty: N/A|
Camp Chef 24 in. WiFi Woodwind Pellet Grill & Smoker ReviewView at Amazon
- Construction: At a substantial 150 lbs and corresponding 50mm legs, the Camp Chef Woodwind Grill is a rather heavy-duty unit. This grill has a 22 lbs hopper capacity and an ample cooking area of 800 square inches. Plus, there is a bottom utility shelf that provides convenient storage for the steaks. This spacious design accommodates cooking for a large family get-together of up to 100 people.
- Next: there are four corrosion-resistant stainless steel meat probes and ports, allowing you precise internal food temperature for consistent cooking. Hence, unlike most pellet grills that you have open the cover to monitor the food’s warmth, these meat probes connect to the full-color control screen, giving you a display of the internal temperature. Plus, it is a massive saving since the four meat probes retail with the grill as one package.
- Pellet Hopper Purge System: Now, with most pellet grills, you must wait for the grill to cool, then open it up and pull out all the insides to clean out the ash. It is a greasy mess that you have to deal with after every meal. Not so, with this pellet grill. The Camp Chef Woodwind grill offers a convenient cleaning system. It features a patented Ash Kickin’ Cleanout unit that will empty the ash immediately when the smoke ceases. All you have to do is pull the lever on the side, and all the ash will drop into the burn cup for you to discard. In turn, you can achieve better heat control and cook efficiently.
- Broad Temperature Range: One can set the temperature from 160º F and adjust it by 5ºF increment up to 500ºF. Hence, it is an excellent unit for slow smoking. Further, using the grill’s Slide and Grill technique, use the movable deflector plate to raise the temperature of the direct flames to reach 650°F ideal for sizzling hot grilling.
- PID and WIFI Capabilities: The Camp Chef Woodwind Grill is the best budget pellet smoker grill with PID and WIFI-enabled controller capabilities. In turn, if you have a home WIFI, you can connect this grill to the WIFI and then control it remotely using the Camp Chef Connect App on your smartphone. This convenience means that you can set timers for your gourmet dishes, adjust the temperature with a gradual increase or decrease of 5ºF, and receive notifications on the progress of your food. Do all these functions away from your grill.
- Smart Smoke Technology: First, the grill incorporates the Smart Smoke Technology that results in the ideal smoky flavor you want. This technology has a high and a low setting that adjusts the auger to feed the burn cup with more or fewer pellets, achieving the smoke or heat needed for your ideal flavor.
- Grease Management System: If you fancy grilling some pork butts and fatty chops, then the Camp Chef Woodwind grill is your ideal pick. For it features a grease management system that directs any fat drippings into the reusable metal cup. That way, the smoker remains clean for longer.
The Camp Chef Woodwind grill brings convenience and great flavor to one piece of equipment. It uses unique temperature control settings that keep the temperature consistent as you cook. The digital readout is quite simple. One can load and empty the hopper with ease. And with convenient features like an emptying trash tray for cleaning up afterward, this unit is a must-have for a great outdoor experience.
What Consumers Are Saying
Customers appreciate the fact that this grill can get quite hot for searing. Plus, the fact that it combines a gas grill and a smoker in one unit was a significant selling factor.
- WiFi-enabled grill for remote grilling
- It is of a corrosion-resistant stainless steel firebox construction
- Uses a PID controller to achieve consistent temperatures with 5ºF gradual adjustments
- Ample hopper capacity and cooking area for a large family
- It retails with four meat probes for precise cooking
- It uses a patented ash cleanout system for easy cleaning
- An ideal cord management system
- 3-year warranty
- For such a heavy-duty pellet grill, the Camp Chef Woodwind unit is not your go-to grill for camping. It gets cumbersome to carry on a long trek. Plus, the 16 inches by 12 inches side shelf takes up more space on your campervan.
The bottom line compared to the others
Unlike other grills that compromise the flavors for convenience, the Camp Chef Woodwind grills offer you both advantages in one package. This grill provides stability and guarantees to prepare large chunks of meat in one go. Hence, it is a reliable unit for your backyard parties and family get-togethers.
Now, when it comes to the GMG grill reviews, price and accessories come to play. For the Green Mountain Grills, Daniel Boone is an authentic black grill.
It has versatile features that enable even a beginner to achieve the smoky flavor of choice. Hence, with the WiFi-enabled features similar to those of Camp Chef Woodwind, it is a definite competitor worth the review.
What Consumers Are Saying
For a grill that can accommodate up to 7 racks of ribs, lots of hamburgers, and a full turkey, this grill is work every coin. It is easy to operate and retails with convenient accessories crucial for a beginner.
- Ample surface area and hopper size for large meals
- Budget-friendly design
- It is of aesthetic and robust enameled steel design
- Uses corrosion-resistant stainless steel grates
- It uses a 12V direct power connection that is efficient power consumption
- It is fully accessories for the best grilling experience
- There are ample sensors for convenient cooking
- The maximum temperature is far much lower than other grills in its range. Plus, the grill is sold exclusively by independent dealers.
Bottom Line Compared to the Others
The Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone is a user-friendly and budget-friendly grill that every beginner should consider using. Indeed, its accessories and smart control features allow anyone to prepare lots of meat and monitor it remotely.
The safety features like the positive pressure on the hopper system ensure that heat is evenly distributed, and there are no mishaps.
The Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett Pellet Grill is the smallest of all the GMG models weighing 68 lbs only. This grill is a portable design that will make an excellent camping companion. Still, it uses the same robust features as the rest of the GMG grill models, only for cooking for a smaller family.
What Consumers Are Saying
Consumers find the GMG Davy Crockett as the most affordable grill in its range. Further, its portable options make it a must-have for small families or groups of friends who love going to remote areas for camping or festivals.
- Portable design for small family get-togethers
- It retails with an optional open flame technology for grease management
- Its accessories include a meat probe, rib racks, and utensils tray with convenient hooks
- It uses digital WiFi controls for remote monitoring
- Despite being an easy-to-use and portable pellet grill, some customers find the user manual somewhat blurry.
Bottom Line Compared to the Others
The GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill is one of the most portable pellet smokers with high-end grilling capabilities. It is no wonder that it is often referred to as the Ultimate Tailgater Pellet Grill. This grill is convenient for any beginner who wants a budget-friendly grill that he can move around with as he pleases.
Insights and Takeaways
I fully trust the Camp Chef Woodwind brand for a grilling experience befitting a large party of about 100 persons. This model will not disappoint with its stainless steel construction. In a party scenario where there is so much going on at the same time, this grill offers smart technology that you can use to control your cooking remotely.
And, you don’t have to worry about opening the grill to empty the ash or deal with any grease. Hence, this unit is our top choice for functionality and high-end capabilities.
Note that, both the Camp Chef Woodwind and the GMG models rank as the best pellet smoker brands you can get. Yet, the GMG models excel in terms of price and accessories. Further, when looking for a portable option, you can rely on the GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill.
After conducting many pellet smoker grill reviews, the Camp Chef Woodwind vs Green Mountain Grill 2020 review stands out. Here, you have three grills that vary in their capabilities to suit different customer needs. The Camp Chef Woodwind is a must-have for anyone who wants no fuss while holding a large get-together.
Still, if you are on a tight budget, the GMG Daniel Boone will give you similar features at an affordable price. But, if you are a beginner in the grilling tradition, Davy Crockett ensures you can manage singlehandedly and come up with a sizzling hot meal for a small family. Hence, pick the grill that appeals to your needs the most.