When it comes to grilling, smaller does not always mean portable, and portable does not always mean effective. Some apartments place restrictions on fuel and not all fuel types are available everywhere. Size, quality, convenience, and fuel are key considerations, and with so many available options, choosing the best gas grills under 400 dollars can be challenging.
10 Best Gas Grills under $400:
1. Char-Broil 463375919 Performance Stainless Steel 4-Burner Cabinet Style Liquid Propane Gas GrillView at Amazon
- Topside flames- Each of the four stainless steel primary burners utilizes top emitting flames, allowing for better heat distribution.
- Sidekick- A 10,000 BTU side burner ideal for sauces and panned dishes. Close the lid when not in use for added prep space.
- Budget-friendly- on the lower end of the price range, it is a sound option for the best propane gas grill under $400.
Another well-known name in the grilling industry, Char-Broil delivers a full-size propane gas grill that is ideal for the backyard grill master. Four burners in the pit and one on the side make this stainless steel beauty an excellent choice for larger families and weekend gatherings.
Two steel-handled doors conceal the propane tank while built-in shelves offer plenty of storage for tools and accessories. The open back panel provides easy access to the tank and drip pan, and the lid-mounted thermometer gives clear interior temperature readings.
Weighing in at about 102 pounds, it is surprisingly lightweight for a full-size grill. Measuring 50 inches wide, it has four locking swivel casters for easy roll-away storage.
The Char-Broil 463375919 delivers 36,000 BTUs of high-powered grilling over 425 square inches of cooking surface. Shiny and durable, the stainless steel finish gives this propane grill a sophisticated look that will add style to any backyard. It is built to last and is easy to clean.
Rust-resistant porcelain-coated grates prevent food from sticking and stainless steel heat tents provide an added layer of protection for the burners.
- Full size cooking surface
- Push-start electric ignition
- Assembly required
- Limited warranty- 5 years on the burners, 2 years on the firebox, and 1 year on all other parts.
2. Dyna-Glo Premier 3 Burner Propane Gas Grill
- cooking space: 550 sq. in.
- 3 stainless steel tube burners
- 36, 000 BTU
- Cast iron cooking grates
- Available in two colors: Black & Stainless
A great addition to the list of good gas grills under $400 is the Dyna-Glo Premier 3-burner liquid propane gas grill. Well constructed and available in two colors, this Dyna-Glo Premier grill offers efficiency, style, and high performance to backyards everywhere.
The Dyna-Glo Premier features a single door, fully enclosed cabinet-style frame that neatly hides the propane tank. Cast iron grates deliver heat directly to the food, and the high gloss finish is easy to clean.
The double-wall shroud liner locks heat inside and the heavy gauge steel tents distribute that heat evenly across the cooking surface.
Big Foot, Small Print
Coming in at just under 400 bucks, the Dyna-Glo Premier has a compact design that offers lightweight versatility with superior cooking ability.
Three burners produce a combined 36,000 BTUs of heat over 369 square inches of primary cook space, and an upper secondary rack offers additional space ideal for warming. Side tables fold down, reducing the grill’s footprint and making it easier to store in tight spaces.
- Electric pulse ignition button
- Towel bars and tool hooks offer storage and free up more space for prep
- A built-in “tank seat” provides secure housing for the propane tank
- A good alternative for Char-broil
- Basic grill features
- No side burner
- 1-year parts warranty
- Not sturdy enough for the price
3. Weber 51010001 Q1200 Liquid Propane GrillView at Amazon
- Variety of colors- Black, Blue, Green, Fuchsia, Titanium, Orange and Red shroud options available.
- Variety of accessories- A two-wheel cart for portability, a griddle grate designed to up the breakfast game, and a liquid propane adapter hose for 20-pound tanks.
With all the quality and performance grillers have come to expect, the Q 1200 brings a fresh new aesthetic to the Weber lineup of liquid propane grills.
Restyled in 2014, it has all the functions of a full-size grill packed into a portable design that makes it perfect for tailgating. With a variety of available accessories, the Q 1200 is easily one of the most versatile grills on the market.
Constructed of durable cast aluminum, the unique shape of the cook-box and shroud provides optimum heat circulation, allowing food to be cooked evenly under both direct and indirect heat. The burners are made from a single tube of high-grade stainless steel that is designed to withstand the water found in liquid propane.
We also compared this model with other grills from the “Q” line by Webers.
Mini but Mighty
Fully assembled right out of the box, the Weber Q 1200 has a single, precision-controlled burner that distributes 8,500 BTUs of heat across 189 square inches of cooking space. The drip pan is located directly beneath the firebox and slides out for easy cleaning.
Larger grips and ergonomic side handles make carrying easy, and the large fold-out side tables provide more space for prep work.
- Electronic ignition for easy starting
- Disposable liquid propane cylinders
- Built-in thermometer
- Heavy for its category
- Slightly more pricey than its competitors
4. Char-Broil Classic 360 3-Burner Liquid Propane Gas Grill with Side BurnerView at Amazon
- Full size- 360 square inches of primary cooking space.
- Warmer- Swing-a-way warming rack adds an additional 170 square inches of cooking space.
- Piezo ignition- Quick, reliable push-button start.
An innovator in the world of liquid propane, Char-Broil delivers quality design and precision cooking in a modestly priced entry-level grill. From the Quickset lineup, the Classic 360 comes with three stainless steel in-line burners and a porcelain-coated firebox.
Lightweight and easy to assemble, the Char-Broil Classic 360 is both portable and well-suited for large gatherings.
Designed to withstand the elements, the Char-Broil Classic 360 features steel body construction with a durable porcelain coating. Three independently controlled burners provide a combined 30,000 BTUs of heat in the firebox. The secondary burner kicks out another 8,000 BTUs, making it ideal for sides and sauces.
Form and Function
Slightly above average for its category, the Char-Broil Classic 360 is easy to move with a two-wheel tilt and push design. Fixed metal shelves provide additional prep space and the open back panel allows for easy access to the tank.
A slotted crossbar offers space to hang grill accessories and three porcelain-coated heat tents help reduce the risk of flare-ups.
- Name brand at a great value
- Easy to clean
- Standard grates
- No side burner cover
- No lid-mounted thermometer
5. Cuisinart CGG-059 Propane, Grillster Portable Gas GrillView at Amazon
- Colors- Black, Stainless and Red color options are available to fit any style.
- Cleaning- Enamel-coated steel grates are easy to remove and dishwasher safe.
- Rotating Lid- Hinged and designed to rotate away for grate access, the lid locks in place for easy moving.
Cuisinart has a solid reputation for making quality kitchen appliances, so it comes as no surprise that they have ventured into the wonderful world of grilling. A nod to its kitchen roots, the Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster is an ultraportable tabletop grill under $400 that is easy to carry and easy to set up. It is a great addition to campers and tailgates.
At 19 inches wide and weighing only 10 pounds, the Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster is a lightweight grilling machine. It uses a 1 pound propane tank for ultimate portability but can be easily converted to a stationary grill with the optional 20 pound adapter hose.
The space-saving design makes it easy to store in tight places and a sturdy composite handle and locking mechanism provide for quick and safe transport.
From the box to the supper table, setup takes less than five minutes. Foldable legs lock in place for convenient setup, and an optional stand is available for increased portability. The matchless ignition system fires up 8,000 BTUs of heat through a single tube burner.
The three-wall interior is capable of reaching temperatures of up to 600 degrees, making the Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster well suited for high-volume grilling.
- 3-year limited warranty
- Rubber grips on the feet to prevent slipping
- Composite plastic handle
- Unreliable ignition system
- Gas tank sold separately
6. Megamaster 6 Burner Propane Gas Grill, 720-0983 BlackView at Amazon
- Movable- Heavy duty cart legs use two over-sized wheels for tilt-and-push mobility.
- Safety- Open access cabinet design features a hole and locking mechanism to keep the propane tank safe and secure.
A relative newcomer to the grilling industry, Megamaster was founded in 1997 and quickly became the largest supplier of lifestyle cooking products in the South African market.
Early success paved the way for expansion, and now Megamaster products can be found in markets across the globe. A grill master’s dream, the Megamaster 720-0983 packs high-powered features into a full size 6 burner gas grill for under $400.
This liquid propane behemoth uses a battery-operated ignition switch that instantly fires up to six independently controlled, high-power burners. With a whopping 54,000 BTUs of heat, the Megamaster 720-0983 can reach temperatures up to 700 degrees in under ten minutes.
The Megamaster 6 burner has a massive 543 square inches of primary cooking space, and an additional 210 square inches with the built-in warming rack. Hugging the firebox are two oversized side tables that provide 26 total inches of prep space.
Thicker porcelain flame tamers help distribute heat evenly and prevent flare-ups, and the splatter box is conveniently located just beneath the center of the firebox.
- Extremely affordable for its size
- The warming rack is not attached to the lid
- Built-in thermometer located on the front of the lid
- Fixed side tables, do not fold away for storage
- No dedicated side burner
- Assembly required
- The black finish shows dirt easier than stainless steel grills
- Heavy- 81 pounds
7. MASTER COOK Classic Liquid Propane Gas Grill, 3 Bunner with Folding TableView at Amazon
- Lightweight- Fully assembled, the Master Cook Classic only weight 46 pounds.
- Piezo Ignition- Quick start-up with the push of a button.
- Extra space- A seven-inch deep warming rack adds 133 square inches of space to the firebox.
A hidden gem in the world of grilling, the Master Cook Classic 3-burner liquid propane grill offers quite a few options that are almost unheard of for a budget gas grill under $400. At 46 inches wide, it has a space-saving design that makes it ideal for small deck and patio grillers who want the full-size grilling experience.
A compact grill with full-size capabilities, the Master Cook Classic offers three burners and 473 square inches of cooking space. Unlike its counterparts, the shroud and firebox are constructed with high-grade porcelain-coated steel, making them far more durable than comparable models.
Two heavy-duty casters and two foldable shelves make moving and storage simple. Three independently controlled burners kick out a combined 30,000 BTUs for thorough, even grilling.
A closed-front cabinet design perfectly conceals the tank and gives this low-cost grill a high-class appearance. Independent front-panel controls allow for easy adjustments and the top-mounted thermometer gives accurate temperature readings.
The handle is constructed of heat-resistant stainless steel, eliminating the need for potholders when lifting the lid. The Master Cook Classic heats up and cools down fast, eliminating longer grilling and cleanup times.
- Space for 15 burgers
- Quality materials at affordable price
- 1-year limited warranty
- No side burner
- Exposed bottom, tank sits on the ground
8. Blackstone 1554 Station-4-burner-Propane Fueled-Restaurant GradeView at Amazon
- Removable top- The 36-inch griddle top slides out for easy cleaning.
- Heat zones- Cook different foods at different temperatures at the same time with four adjustable heat zones.
- Storage- Folding legs and two cantilevered shelves allow easy disassembly and storage.
Another newcomer to the grilling market is Blackstone, which launched its cornerstone product, the 36” griddle, in 2005.
Marketed as an alternative to traditional open-flame grilling, the Blackstone 1554 expands on its original design to offer a restaurant-grade, four-burner propane grill that is ideal for beginners and experts alike.
Easy to assemble, the Blackstone 1554 sits on a black powder-coated steel frame and includes four heavy-duty casters for easy maneuverability. The griddle top is made of cold-rolled steel that is durable and easy to clean. Each of the four burners is independently controlled, offering a wide range of temperature options.
Once relegated to kitchen breakfast duty, the Blackstone 1554 breaks the griddle mold and brings restaurant-style cooking to the backyard.
With a massive 720 square inches of cook space, it is perfectly suited for large gatherings. Each of the four burners kicks out an impressive 15,000 BTUs of heat, and the frame features two side shelves and one underneath.
- Can cook 72 hotdogs at a time
- Secure tank holder
- Heavy- weighs 120 pounds
- Insufficient grease management- poor drainage, small trap, clogs easily
- Susceptible to rust, must be cleaned frequently
9. Monument Grills Clearview Lid 4-Burner Stainless Propane Gas Grill
A freshman in the industry, Monument Grills is quickly making a name for itself with innovative design features that offer a serious bang for the budget-minded buck. A standout in its category, the Clearview 4-Burner natural gas grill features durable construction and versatile cooking options ideal for all types of grillers.
The Monument Grills Clearview 4-Burner is loaded with features designed to add another layer of enjoyment to the grilling experience.
In the firebox, four independently controlled 304 stainless steel burners kick out an impressive 60,000 BTUs of heat over 513 square inches of cooking space. Not one, but two covered side burners offer an additional 210 square inches of cooking space.
Form and Function
A flashy, two-door cabinet design neatly hides the tank while providing for additional under-box storage. A center-mounted thermometer monitors internal temperatures while the Clearview glass panel allows grillers to watch progress without lifting the lid.
- Porcelain-coated grease trap with rear access for easy cleaning
- 4 front-locking heavy-duty swivel casters
- Assembly required
- The price is a bit higher than 400 bucks, so you need to wait till the sales to get this one for under $400
There are also other versions of the Clearview Grill with additional features such as a rotisserie, and side sear- A must for steak lovers, this ceramic burner reaches an impressive 800 degrees, perfect for locking in those juices. Those grills are priced much higher.
10. Weber 44010001 Spirit II E-210 2-Burner Liquid Propane GrillView at Amazon
- Your purchase includes One Weber Spirit II E-210 2-Burner Liquid Propane Grill in Black color
- Propane gas grill works with Standard 20 lb LP tank.
- Two burner grill is built to fit small spaces and is packed with features such as the powerful GS4 grilling system
- 3D interactive assembly instructions for this product are available through the free BILT app.
Weber has a long and distinguished history in the grilling industry, and the Spirit II E-210 is already leaving its gridiron mark. Released in 2018, it is a no-nonsense, entry-level gas grill designed with newbies in mind.
It is the smallest and most affordable grill in the Weber lineup and modestly priced, it is an early contender for the best natural gas grill under $400 (there is also an option to get a natural or propane-fueled Spirit II E-210 grill).
The Spirit II E-210 comes almost fully assembled with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty. An open cart design provides quick tank access, and the left side table is collapsible for easy storage.
The Spirit II E-210 features a grease management system, flavorizer bar, two burners, and Infinity Ignition.
Easy to Cook, Easy to Clean
At 48 inches wide, the Spirit II E-210 is ideal for small space grilling. It weighs 113.8 pounds and has two oversized locking wheels that make it easy to cart across gravel, dirt, and grass. Porcelain-coated grates provide even heat distribution and a broader temperature range.
Flash grill a steak or slow roast a chicken. Designed to prevent dangerous flare-ups, the drip pan is located directly beneath the cook box.
- Front panel controls
- 450 square inch cooking area
- Low heat generator- 26,500 BTUs
- Longer preheat times
Factors to Consider When Buying Gas Grills Under $400
The budget may be the ultimate deciding factor, but the list of gas grill reviews under $400 would not be complete without some other key considerations.
Several factors figure into determining the right size grill.
Regular users will want to consider a full-size grill, while the occasional griller-on-the-go will benefit from more portable options. Compact, tabletop grills fit neatly in campers and are easy to pack for tailgating.
Where will the grill be used and stored? Small patios and balconies are better suited to compact, collapsible grills, while larger backyard patios can easily accommodate full-size, less portable units.
Small families or large gatherings? Consider the cooking space before making a decision and note that even some compact grills offer full-size fireboxes.
The number of burners a grill has determined how much food can be grilled at once. A two-burner grill is an ideal minimum because it allows for better heat distribution and offers some flexibility.
Keep in mind that burners are usually the first thing to go, and will need to be replaced. Consider the quality of the burners, the warranty, and how easy it is to access the housing.
The grate is one of the most important parts of the grill. It is the only part of the grill designed to have direct contact with food.
Choosing a high-quality grate will ensure better heat distribution and more thorough cooking. The thicker the grate the better, because it will ultimately determine the quality of the final product.
Like burners, grates are prone to wear and tear, and will eventually need to be replaced. A thick, grate coated in porcelain or ceramic is easy to clean and helps preserve longevity.
Flame tamers, or heat tents, are the plates that fit between the cooking grate and burners. They provide a vital barrier between the flame and grease, which reduces the risk of dangerous flare-ups. The same considerations for grates apply here.
Heat tents come in direct contact with the flames, so thicker tents that are better capable of absorbing and redistributing heat are ideal.
Perhaps the most important material consideration is the shroud and hotbox. White powder-coated steel is sturdy and nice out of the box, it requires quite a bit more maintenance to keep clean.
Stainless and enamel-coated steel is the most durable option. Again, thickness counts. Lower-end grills may feature stainless steel construction, but thin materials are more susceptible to damage and corrosion.
Gas Grills Under $400 FAQ
What is the difference between propane and natural gas?
Propane is a byproduct of crude oil and natural gas. It goes through distillation before it is compressed into tanks. Because of its chemical makeup, propane produces much higher BTUs.
Natural gas is a fossil fuel extracted directly from the Earth and delivered to the home through a gas line. It is comprised primarily of methane, but also contains small amounts of propane, ethane, and butane.
Propane is the favored method of fuel because it is portable, does not require a hard line, and burns much hotter than natural gas.
What is causing excessive flare-ups?
Flare-ups are caused by grease drippings coming into contact with the flame.
Occasional flare-ups are normal, but excessive flare-ups can be dangerous and typically occur when there is a build-up of grease that catches fire.
Thicker heat tents and frequent cleaning will reduce flare-ups and the potential for grease fires.
It is a good idea to trim away as much excess fat as possible prior to grilling, and when cleaning heat tents, be sure to remove excess grease and debris from the top and bottom.
What is the best way to clean a grill?
Check the warranty information prior to cleaning. Some methods and solvents will void any coverage.
Be sure the fuel source is off and disconnected from the grill before cleaning. Soapy water, a soft rag, and a wire brush are necessary for a thorough cleaning. Remove all grill components- grates, tens, burners, and tubes. Use soapy water and a soft rag to clean the burners and tubes.
Set those aside to dry and wipe down the gas ports. Seal the ports off with foil and use a wire brush and soapy water to scrub the firebox. Rinse and let it dry. Once dried, reassemble the components and clean the grates.
A hard scrub with soapy waterworks in most cases, but occasionally, a more thorough cleaning is required. This can be achieved by heating the grates for ten minutes, allowing them to cool, and then scrubbing them with soapy water.
Winner, Winner, Grilled Chicken Dinner!
When it comes to portability, the Weber Q 1200 can’t be beaten. The dependability of one of the most trusted names in grilling and a host of available accessories make this mighty mini a grill master champ!
In a surprising show of craftsmanship, the best full-size propane gas grill under $400 comes from the newcomer.
Monument Grills Clearview 4-burner ups the grilling game with fresh new design features and enhanced durability, making it the Pit Master General of budget gas grills